They’ve got many names: Pimples, Zits, Acne, Bumps, Spots! Call it what you want to, this unwanted visitor always manages to sneak past us and literally pops up at the most inconvenient time. It sometimes seems that the appearance of a zit is inversely proportional to the importance of an upcoming event. You’d think that once you get pass puberty, these pesky pimples and would make a quick disappearance but the acne action is strong with some of us.
Nonetheless, things are not all that bad. Although you might find solace in your over-the-counter drugstore products, they may not always provide relief. Instead of shelling out for expensive acne treatments, we tell you how to get clear skin with few easy home remedies for acne.
Read on for 5 of the very best home remedies for acne. Ease on your pocket and glow on your face!
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
I got a pen, I got an Appl.. Oops, we mean Apple Cider Vinegar! ACV is a powerhouse for treating acne. It is sort of along the same lines as Lemon juice, having the same antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Moreover, it balances your skin’s pH level to regulate the production of sebum (not too oily or too dry). It acts as an astringent that dries out the excess oil by regulating the sebaceous glands and it also balances your skin’s pH levels to create an unfriendly nature for bacteria to thrive.
- Cleanse your face with mild soap and warm water.
- Pat dry and mix 1 part of ACV to 3 parts of water.
- Stir well and soak a cotton ball in this mix.
- Dab it directly on the acne blemishes and let it sit for 30 minutes to overnight.
- After that, rinse your face thoroughly with water.
- Dry it and apply some moisturizer to dryness caused by the use of ACV.
- Repeat it regularly to get relief from acne and its scars.
2. Lemon + Egg White Face Pack
Touted by many as one of the best go-to homemade remedies for acne prevention, this face pack contains two powerhouse ingredients. That’s all it takes to get that pimple moving! While on one hand lemon juice is a powerful astringent that fights off acne-causing bacteria, it also lightens skin and reduces discolouration.
Egg whites on the other hand works wonders for oily and greasy skin by shrinking large pores on your skin, thereby reducing excess sebum or oil sacs. Large pores are also potential breeding grounds for bacteria that cause zits and cysts, which means pore-tightening egg white can help reduce acne. The recipe to this face pack is simple and inexpensive to say the least!
Mix juice of 1 lemon and whites of 1 egg together and apply onto your face. Let it dry then rinse completely with warm water. Repeat once a week to get rid of acne and prevent scars!
3. Yoghurt + Honey Face Pack
Yoghurt and honey, both have been used over the centuries for medicinal practices. Both the ingredients contain antibacterial properties and are natural antibiotics. Yoghurts probiotic properties help eradicate excessive oil, dirt and toxins from the skin.
While honey’s anti-inflammatory properties makes it effective in fighting off any bacterial infection that leads to skin inflammation. It’s detoxifying agent helps soften scar tissues which helps in fading acne scars. Usage of organic yoghurt is recommended. You can even use homemade yoghurt. It is suggested that people with oily skin only use low-fat yoghurt while those with dry skin only use full-fat yoghurt. Add a touch of olive oil to keep your face hydrated.
Mix a tablespoon of yoghurt to a teaspoon of honey and apply it onto your face. Let the mask sit for a good 10-20 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water and patting your face dry. Pimples be gone!
4. Aloe Vera + Tea Tree Oil Face Pack
Tea tree’s natural antiseptic properties help heal your skin better and faster. Its strong qualities are further accentuated by its ability to cut through dirt, dust an oily pores to unclog the grease under your skin. Whereas Aloe Vera is a miracle plant for the skin. Its moisturising properties also rejuvenates the skin. Using Aloe Vera and Tea tree together prevents your skin from getting too dry. This remedy is the perfect solution for those with aggressive acne. If you have sensitive skin, use less tea tree oil and blend the Aloe Vera with Cucumbers, seeds et all.
- Combine 1-2 tsp aloe vera gel and 4-5 drops of tea tree oil, mix well.
- Apply this to your acne and the surrounding area. You can even apply this to your whole face.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes or till it dries off.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat daily if your acne problem is severe or you may repeat this 2-3 times a week.
5. Green Tea Ice Cubes
Yes, Green Tea is one of the most effective home remedies for acne healing. It acts as a natural and potent astringent that cools the skin, helps in soothing inflamed skin and reduces pain and swelling. Acne has since long been associated with high blood pressure and diabetes. Green Tea helps regulate it both, by way of ingestion. Not only does it prevent acne scarring, it also is 50% more effective that Benzoyl Peroxide, a common ingredient in most drugstore acne toners. Bringing together Green Tea and ice, indefinitely cools your skin, externally whilst properties of the Green Tea work their magic internally. Zap those zits bye-bye!
- Brew green tea, let cool, pour into ice trays, and freeze.
- Rub green tea ice cubes on acne twice a day.
- Or pour powdered green tea or dried tea leaves into ice tray.
- Fill the ice tray the rest of the way with water.
- Place in freezer until cubes harden.
- Rub cubes on acne twice a day.
Flawless skin here we come. Beyonce, we woke up like this too!